A stream of consiousness from a random guy who cares nothing about spelling or grammar news, but love GOD family friends & football (mostly Clemson football)

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It's all about community

Dictionary.com defines communtiy as a group of men or women leading a common life according to a rule. Brian defines it as people hangin out and just being themselves. Today it's hard to meet new people and "click." For the first time I feel like we have clicked with people here in the low country. I have people at work who I can hang-out and have a good time, but I think their purpose is to beat me down more than anything else. (Don't go feeling sorry for me. It's just a typical guys' locker room scene, without all of the nakedness of course.)
On Sunday, we went to La Hacienda (For those that read Annie's blog, I know you are shocked it wasn't the Noisy Oyster.) I saw our pastor there and he asked me if I was "missing the Upstate as much now." I honestly had to think about it. And, if I had to think about it, the answer is probably "NO". Don't get me wrong. We have great friends there, but I don't miss Greenville itself like I had been.
You know what? I may be perfectly happy living in Charleston for the rest of my life. (If you know my mother-in-law, or my mom please call them I think they may have just had a hard attack.) So there. I've said it. It's out there. There are things I miss about the Upstate: Clemson, the lakes, some of the people, but I don't have an intense longing to move back at the first chance either.
Being part of a small group is the reason for this. So thanks to: Ted, Karen, Scott, Tina, Dustin, Cassey, Daren, Jolie, Brian, Barbara, Caleb, & Jamie for making this place more like home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that you are FINALLY finding your niche there. I only wish I could do the same. I still miss the Upstate terribly, but I love my husband even more, so I know this is where I'm supposed to be. We love you and miss you!!!

Squirt

Ted said...

It was the toilet paper ... wasn't it?!? I knew that was a great idea!!! In all seriousness, I can't tell you how much Karen and I enjoy our friendship with you and Annie (can I use her full name here :) and HG. This "community" thing is pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

Brian, As your mother-in-law. Yes, I would give anything for ya'll to move back to the upstate. But, I know God has a plan for both of you in Charleston. It seems that you both are more content and that happens. When I moved to the upstate 31 years ago, I felt that way too. You adapt and find what your purpose is. It just would be nice to run over and get HG for both of you to have some time together. Just promise you won't move across the world or I will have to come with you. HA!!!!!!
Hope you had a great time at Promise Keepers! Love you! Sheree(mother-in-law)

Anonymous said...

ok so YOU CAN NOT Live IN CHARLESTON THE REST OF YOUR LIVES. 1. i need my sister close by i miss her everyday. so start looking for a job b i am expecting a move before graduation. lol
2. your daughter warms my heart and i want to be able to see her everyday and have aunt mim come and babysit you know how we party when you leave the 2 of us together
3. you can only live there as long as i am going to school there or have decided to make a residency there
4. YOUR SISTER-INLAW just had a heart attack

Ted said...

Enough with the community already ... its time for another post :)