A stream of consiousness from a random guy who cares nothing about spelling or grammar news, but love GOD family friends & football (mostly Clemson football)

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Shepard??!?!? Are you Freaking Kidding Me?!?!?

Ok, so there is never anything on TV on Wed night so Annie and I were watching the American Idol "save the world give money" special. Much to my surprise at the end Ryan (the host) said: Now singing Shout to the Lord here are your Idol contestants. I thought to myself "this ought to be interesting." Sure enough the first verse sent me through the roof! Instead of "My Jesus, My Savior.." They sang: "My SHEAPARD, My Savior." Are you serious? I guess the name of Jesus is SOOOO offensive that you can't say it on National TV unless they are using it in vein.

Well, let me end by saying something equally offensive: Jesus loves you! He came to this Earth to hang-out with and get to know YOU. Jesus died on the cross for us all, but if you were the only person that needed saving HE STILL WOULD HAVE DONE IT!

Sorry for the sermon. I am pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but maybe not. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

10 comments:

Angela Nazworth said...

I do understand your point. I had some similar issues with the show Touched by an Angel. They always talked of God, but seldom used the name of Jesus. But I do have to say that at least a Christian song was played last night for millions and it was beautiful. I don't have all the verses memorized, so correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think they changed the song, I think they started with the second verse instead because I am pretty sure there is a line that says my Shepherd or perhaps my shelter?

Anonymous said...

No, Angela...they intentionally CHANGED "My Jesus, my savior..." to "My shepherd, my savior..."

And the second verse (if you call it that)"My comfort, and shelter" but they didn't start from the second verse. They went into that.
However, they resang it and INCLUDED the "My Jesus"

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Well I am glad that they sang it again correctly and that the second time it was at the beginning of the show. It's been getting a lot of buzz. :-)

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Oh, I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers by posting my first comment. I honestly didn't know if there was a second verse or not and thought there was. I am terrible with memorizing lyrics. And I do agree that I hate when the name of Jesus is overlooked. I'm glad they got it right the second time. There has been so much conversation about it and it is now the #1 downloaded song.

Annie said...

Angela, you didn't ruffle any feathers. :) I don't even think that Brian has seen these comments. I am glad they got it right the second time. And I wish Brian has spelled Shepherd correctly in his post, but he gets mad when I correct him. LOL

Jonathan said...

http://jonathaneverette.blogspot.com/2008/04/watch-video-then-read-below.html

Good post, Brian. For a different perspective, check out the blog post above.

Another way to look at it is that the most watched TV show in America (and watched by many around the world - I can attest to that) showcased a song about Jesus Christ. Yes, they did change the "Jesus" to "Shepherd" the first time, but I would rather have that small change than no song at all.

Another thought...is that a Hillsong song? If so, I imagine they had to give approval for AI to use it.

Anyway, it's thought-provoking.

Jonathan said...

Oh, and the above comment was Jonathan C, not the guy whose blog I linked to.

Angela Nazworth said...

Thanks Annie. Oh, I thought Brian was "annonymous" :-)It "sounded" angry. But I think even Mother Theresa could have sounded angry in writing. :-)

Stacy Kinard said...

I watched the link Jonothan posted and while it stinks they didn't sing "My Jesus". The thing is, that song was a performance. It seemed more like a way for each to show off their vocals. And yes, their are those of us that know what the song really means, to some, they had no idea what the song meant. "Shout to the Lord all the Earth let us sing, power and majesty, praise to the King" "Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand"-- were these just lyrics and a way to shine above other contestants or were they a message to those watching? I hope it was the latter, but sometimes it seems it's not. Just something I was thinking...

Corrie said...

When I saw it, the first thing I thought was "do they really believe it?"