A stream of consiousness from a random guy who cares nothing about spelling or grammar news, but love GOD family friends & football (mostly Clemson football)

Monday, August 27, 2007

The body isn't even cold yet...

I know your probably bowled over in your seat as I have now posted twice in two days. Well, finally I have something to say, and time to say it (the computer hog is working out, while my fat butt is blogging.) Sunday I was telling Annie about a dream I had where one of my friends died. I explained to her that in the dream it hit me that he wouldn't be going to the Clemson game on Monday, and I wondered if his wife would be going. Annie was appalled that it would even be up for debate. I told her that his wife was a big Clemson fan too, and that as long as it didn't interfere with the funeral, I didn't see any reason why she wouldn't go.
Then, our conversation took a fateful turn for the worse. You know, I should have seen it coming, but I didn't. I know, I know. It was a rookie mistake, but she got me. That's right! She turned the proverbial tables on me. "Would you go to the game if I died this week?" she asked. I was quick to answer: "Naw, baby. I wouldn't have any one to keep Hannah." Whew, I was in the clear. Then the follow-up: "I'm sure you would have a plethera of people to watch Hannah. Would you go then." "As long as it didn't interfere with the funeral," I replied. Well, let me tell you. That went over like a turd in a punch-bowl. My reasoning is this: I am going to need some sense of normalcy during this very sad time. Clemson Football would be an escape, or a momentary band-aid for the pain. She asked if I would be into it as much as I usually am. I said no, I would be sad that she wasn't able to be there with me.
So, I pose this to you: Am I a big jerk, or would many of you find yourself in a very similar situation in like circumstances? If your sig. other departed this earth, how would you cope? Would you go shopping? Would you go fishing? Would you play golf (again that is if it doen't interfere with the funeral)?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would try to keep a normal routine as much as possible. However, going to a game where people were drunk and stupid probably wouldn't make me feel any better. I don't think I could go to such a public place. But no, I don't think you are a jerk!!

Squirt

Anonymous said...

If she died on Wednesday, I think you could have the funeral in plenty of time to be in your seat for Monday's game. I mean, really, you have to move on with your life. I know I would!

Jordan

Anonymous said...

Gee Thanks! But I guess I should h--I feel have known that my husband would have said that-