A stream of consiousness from a random guy who cares nothing about spelling or grammar news, but love GOD family friends & football (mostly Clemson football)

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Sticks and Stones....

This is going to sound really arrogant, but earlier today I had a moment of brilliance. There was a commentator on the radio who was talking about how Jerry Lewis called some one a F*g during his telethon, and no one was offended. But when the guy from Grey's Anatomy did the same thing he eventually lost his job. Don Imus can't call the Rutgers Basketball women's B-ball team "nappy-headed hoes", but every rap song that has been out for the last 16 years calls all women hoes early and often. This spawned a conversation in the car. One of my coworkers asked me what I thought about the subject. I said, that I don't care what someone calls me. I know the truth. It seems that we as adults have forgotten that sticks and stones may break my bones but WORDS WILL NEVER HURT ME! Don Imus could have said that all blonde white guys that live in SC are homosexual, and I wouldn't have thought another thing about it. Why? Because I know that is simply not true. If I played basket ball for the Rutgers women's team (for all you Title IX-ers) it wouldn't have bothered me, because I'm not a nappy-headed hoe.
We have become the United States of the Offended. When did this happen? I personally blame the 70's, but that is a different subject for another day.
Last Comic Standing is now on, so I will go, but think about this for now.

6 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, Brian, you know you are a nappy headed hoe!

Cassie said...

CHIMICHANGA!!!!

Meredith said...

Just to play the devil's advocate here, perhaps you'd feel differently if blond white men HAD been called something ugly for the past gazillion decades. Hmmmm.

Brian said...

While your point is valid. I am not talking about someone dropping an "N" bomb. That's a completley different story. Although, if I had been called something for a long time, I wouldn't let the rest of us blonde skinny people call us that.

Sarah said...

Isn't the phrase "vote early and often" and not "call all women nappy headed hoes early and often?" Just wondering...

GrandCanyonMom said...

Good points...I think I agree with you on all this.

Jaime