A stream of consiousness from a random guy who cares nothing about spelling or grammar news, but love GOD family friends & football (mostly Clemson football)

Friday, December 14, 2007

Capernicous called, the Universe doesn't revolve around me...

Earlier this year I wrote a blog about a bumper sticker I saw In REASON we trust? Well someone who calls him/herself Capernicous found it this week and made a comment. I have no idea who this person is, but I am glad they thought my topic of such a worthy discussion. Their comments were not mean spirited in any way. I appreciate the discussion, and in an attempt to further discussion I have included his/her comment below. I have broken it out with my responses in bold. Hopefully they will return to see my response. Feel free to comment as well.

How do you *know* that guy thought he was being "ultra intelligent"? You are correct, I do not know that he was being ultra intelligent; however, based on previous experiences it stands within REASON that he probably is, but since I can't know for sure, I will concede the point here.

(For future reference, it's actually spelled "intelligent".) Thanks for the spell check. I make no apologies for my spelling, it's just part of what this blog is. I encourage you to check out this post for future reference regarding spelling and grammar as it to pertains to this blog.

Seems like you're pretty eager to assume some arrogance on this guy's part. The fact is, being reasonable often leads one to understand one's own fallibility and therefore develop the humility to question one's own judgment. I think you are actually making my point stronger here. I would say I am a self-aware (reasonable if you will) guy. I realize the fallibility of my own understanding, because as I said originally, I don't see the whole picture. It's for this REASON that one cannot trust in REASON ALONE. We are fallible. So wouldn't it be prudent to put your trust in Someone who isn't fallible.

That gets to the fallacy of your argument. Trusting in reason does not imply relying solely on one's own understanding. For example, I may reason that my father is a wiser man than I am, and therefore I should follow his guidance. You have, at some point, either reasoned that the Christian god is the real and true god OR reasoned that you should accept that as fact without reason (i.e. on faith.) Ultimately you are using your powers of reason to make at least one decision, even if that is to blindly accept everything your minister (or preacher/pastor/pope/re-re-re-translated ancient text/imam/rabbi/mom/dad) tells you. You make a lot of assumptions here. I never stated that one should not use reason at all. I don't think GOD wants us to ask Him what groceries we should buy, or what shoes to wear. GOD gave us common sense (some more than others--not a dig at you personally, just an overall observation of society.) The other part of this whole conversation is that GOD is the creator of reason. Let that sink in a minute. God gave us free will. Free will is the root of reason. He doesn't want us to simply follow Him like a mindless robot. He wants us to TRUST and follow Him because we love Him and WANT to. Just like you reasoned your father was a wiser man, and you reasoned to follow him. I reason that I don't have all the answers, and I should trust in a GOD that does.

**Editors note: Thanks so much for the conversation. Don't be a stranger. I look forward to hearing from you again, and it is my hope that you come back. I am not a theologian by any stretch of the imagination, just some dude that started a blog to spite my wife. Take a look at this web-site. They have a very entertaining way of making part of my point.

5 comments:

Medic Mom said...

Loved the video!

Brian said...

Yeah, me too. The part about Henry Ford makes me laugh everytime.

Stacy Kinard said...

You get everyone all excited that you're posting again, then BOOM, it stops! :(

Anonymous said...

Not to many people are leaving comments I see.

I'm doing an assignment for school on religion. According to "opposing viewpoints, World Religion" 8% of the american public confess to being agnostic or atheist.

Haven't watch the video but I say there is no god. God is man's ignorace of the unknown.

L.K. Dixon-Smith
stelaliv@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!